Getting Aria’s Ears Pierced!

I’m so glad that I did my research and that we went about getting Aria’s ears pierced the way that we did. I am also glad that we did it before they made a law prohibiting parents from getting their baby’s ears pierced. So silly if you ask me. Aria only cried for 5 seconds with each ear and will never have issues with her ears like a lot of my friends who got their ears pierced when they were in middle school did as long as I take good care of them. Preteens And teenagers don’t always do so well taking care of newly pierced ears. And they look so pretty on her! I thank my mom for getting mine done when I was a baby, and even though it took a lot of courage for me to walk into the shop with Ari, I couldn’t be happier with the whole experience. Aria was pretty happy too, when it was all said and done!

image

Babies should have had at least their first round of shots, including their tetanus shot, which are usually given at two months of age.

Some things that I asked myself before getting Aria’s ears pierced were: Who is the most knowledgeable and professional when it comes to piercing babies ears? Who will be the most sanitary? And where will Aria be the most comfortable?

I found that getting them done at the mall (at Claire’s, Icing, Piercing Pagoda, etc.) where a lot of people go to get their baby’s ears pierced could possibly end up being the worst choice. So many babies do walk away unharmed, but often times the guns used at kiosks and shops in the mall are not properly sanitized, babies can get a long list of diseases and infections including hepatitis. There is also a greater possibility of having to pierce one ear more than once because you never know who is going to be doing them that day, how experienced they are with babies, and what is going to be going on all around you in the mall.

When it comes to our children you can never be too safe. In this case the safest option is going to a respected piercing shop. One that is very professional, very knowledgeable, and very clean! We went to Artisan Body Piercing in Norfolk! I actually chose the place because it popped up when I went on Google and searched “baby ear piercing in Norfolk,” it was at the top of the first forum on the topic. I read reviews about the main piercer there, named Kat, and people were just raving about how knowledgeable and awesome she was. The shop itself was mostly quiet, very clean, and very cozy. And Kat has 2 kids and 16 nieces and nephews!! Wow!

For babies, Kat uses a little DISPOSABLE asepsis gun that came in a little sealed pack. It also put a tiny titanium earring in Aria’s ears automatically! It is also extremely accurate because of its size and closeness to the ear. She explained to us how unsanitary normal guns are and also explained that they do not use the needles that they sometimes do with adults because of the risk of the needle going to baby’s neck. I mentioned double piercings when mistakes are made with babies ears and she said that she only had to re-pierce once and it was because the baby was extremely chubby and she couldn’t get the little gadget behind the babies ear. Haha, reminded me of Fred Clause. “Ho, ho, ho!” hahaha. I saw reviews on the gadget and people use this to do piercings on themselves at home and said that it was completely painless.

It is also believed that the younger you pierce a babies ears the less they feel it at all. If a baby does feel it, it is only for a second. People argue that it is child abuse… Really? I was never traumatized from my own baby piercings and vaccine needles are wayy more painful and scary. Some babies don’t even cry at all, they just look around like “What was that? Why is everyone looking at me?” If she doesn’t want them later in life she can just let them close up, and I highly doubt that she will ever feel that way.

Kat showed Aria a red ball and Aria went right back to being her curious self. We went shopping for a new living room rug afterwards and Aria and mommy were laughing at everything in the store, including daddy.

image

Advertisements

25 Comments Add yours

1. arielnagi says:

Thank you for sharing this. I also pierced my daughter’s ears when she was a baby. I’m glad I made that decision.

1. TheChyLife says:

Awwww! I can’t wait to pick out little earrings with her on our shopping trips ❤

Liked by 1 person

2. My parents wouldn’t let me get my ears pierced till I got my period and was officially a “woman.” I thought this was kind of silly and awkward, but I suppose made me feel better about the discomforts of my first period. I later found out that my grandmother forbade my mother to pierce her ears, and she did it “in secret” and tried to hide her ears from her mom… yet she wouldn’t let me get mine done when I wanted?!

I don’t like the idea of getting baby’s ears pierced, not because of “abuse” or anything, but a) I’d be afraid they’d find their ears and fiddle with the earrings, and b) I would rather let her decide when she’s older (and it would be neat that it’s something she can remember, a fun outing).

There were a couple times when it seemed like my piercings were infected even though I took great care with them, but that’s because I later found out I was allergic to the more cheaper metals, which is pretty common. You might not notice if your baby is having any problems since she can’t tell you.

Aria is VERY cute in her tiny, sparkly earrings!

1. TheChyLife says:

Haha tradition again, like Erin and me were talking about. Well, in your case you had it how your mom was supposed to have it but your mom was against the way growing up, maybe when she had you she was like okay now I feel for my mom. Silly, silly.

Aria found her ears when she was 2 months old, I actually brought her to the ER for a false alarm ear infection because she was messing with them so much haha, so yesterday and last night (the first day) I was watching her like a hawk. Today I watched a lot too but I’m not as on edge as I was. I think if they bother her she would touch somewhere around them and cry in discomfort. So far so good. I really believe it’s just usually whatever the “tradition” of the mommies in a family have going, and for my family piercing as babies always seemed best. And I think it would be a very rare occurrence that the woman who raised you loves earrings that you hate them. I’m going to love seeing her little earrings on her throughout her childhood.

1. TheChyLife says:

And you hate them* well maybe not that rare. But in that case she could take them out and let the hole close.

2. TheChyLife says:

I thought about your comment on not being able to know if she is having any problems since she can’t tell me tonight when she woke up screaming. She was thankfully only screaming because her tummy hurt because she slept for 5 hours without eating instead of 3 like she normally does. Afterwards she was smiling and trying to talk to me for about 5 minutes I kept watching her on the monitor after until she went to sleep and the only thing she rubbed was her eyes. Babies definitely tell you when something is wrong and they’re so expressive of what they’re feeling that they have to rub their eyes when they’re really tired and when I looked at her ears I realized that if there was anything wrong with them I know for a fact that they would show redness. If babies were typically in pain for more than a millisecond, and days after getting a piercing it would be plain as day and it would have been banned a long time ago because that is definitely cruelty.

3. TheChyLife says:

I also have to touch her ears twice a day over and over to clean them. She pays me no attention. If they were hurting her she would cry. She’s a functioning human being not a vegetable lol

1. Glad to hear there haven’t been any problems!

3. Rose says:

I waited until my daughter was three. She cried a little and stopped. Your baby girl is sooo cute.

1. TheChyLife says:

That’s awesome! She had no issues at 3? And thank you Rose! Ari says thank you too haha

1. Rose says:

She is welcome. ((Hugs)) to you Ari via mamma.

4. Sheridan Johnson says:

She looks so precious and I got my daughters done right after she got her 6 month shots!

1. TheChyLife says:

Thank you! And two woots for mommies who get their baby girl’s ears pierced! Woot woot! ❤

1. Sheridan Johnson says:

♡♡♡

5. erinb9 says:

She looks so adorable!

I have two daughters and am planning on getting their ears pierced later. It’s not because I think it’s child abuse though (and you make a good point about them not remembering it), but more because I’m thinking if they ask to get them pierced when they are older, it can be a reward… so maybe they’ll be less likely to want their tongues or bellybuttons pierced in high school, lol.

Will see if this works out for me. You never know.

1. TheChyLife says:

I think they’re the cutest thing ever haha. Are yours pierced? If they are, when did you get them? I’m starting to think it’s really a tradition thing. You come from a long line of ladies that had fun getting theirs pierced as a tween or a long line of ladies that thought they were the bees knees for having them pierced basically their whole lives haha.

1. erinb9 says:

Yes! Mine were done when I was about 4, and I still remember it a little (my cousin was the same age and remembers it too).

Then I added a second hole in high school and then a cartilage one. Then in college, my navel and nose…

I bet you’re right about it being a tradition thing. I’m thinking it’s probably best to either do it when they’re babies or when they decide to later. Because toddlers are scared and remember it

1. TheChyLife says:

That should be the conclusion of the debate about a law banning ear piercing until 18. The daughters of mom’s who got pierced as a baby end up happy like their mom’s and the daughters of mom’s who got theirs later end up happy like theirs when they go through the same. And toddlers just want to go back to having a good time with their toys hahaha

1. erinb9 says:

I agree. It’s fish or cut bait on the whole ear-piercing deal 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. Thank you for sharing you journey. I just found out I am expecting a baby girl. I brought this conversation up to my husband and ended in a swift “No”. I don’t disagree with him but this story really makes me see another side. They do look so cute on her!

1. TheChyLife says:

Congratulations!! Do you think you guys are going to let it be her choice later? It would be a fun thing for mommy and daughter to do it later on but every time I thought of waiting because I was terrified (lol) I thought of my friends in middle school who battled with infected piercings. Knowing more definitely helped us make the decision to go ahead and get it over with.

Liked by 1 person

1. My mother made me wait until I was 10. Seems to be the magic number and we will probably follow suite. I remember how excited I was on my birthday for my mom to take me.

I think that even though we will wait, as a medical professional I probably would not go more then 2 days without checking them out and asking her daily if she remembered to clean them. I will be more cautious now as to where she goes versus a kiosk.

1. TheChyLife says:

Yeah that’s cute! I read about the excitement of mommy and daughter doing it together later on. I wonder if the decision is usually whatever the mom experienced haha. Like mother like daughter ❤

2. TheChyLife says:

Oh I also saw that it was like a right of passage for little girls. Like now you are a young lady!

I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you! ♡

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s